My Ideal Daily House-Mom-Wife Homemaking Routine Mon-Sat

The first essential that a homemaker needs is a daily routine. When I made my first routine, I looked at several vintage and modern homemaking routines before making mine because I was starting from scratch; I didn't even know what I should be doing with my house in a day. 

Of course, any routine is an ideal day at home. There are going to be days when I run errands and go to my mom's house, and I don't commit my homemaking routine to Sundays because I routinely spend that day out of the house with my family. 

I also consider my routine an ideal and not a standard because, so far, the self-discipline to commit to a routine is hard work; I just haven't gotten there yet. My primary obstacle is that unless I start my routine at my planned start time, I lose motivation to pick up later in the morning. My planned wake-up time is 7:30 a.m. I know a lot of vintage homemakers woke up at 6:00 a.m., so I shouldn't complain about waking up an hour and a half later. But, I have found that when I wake up early I become very fatigued before I can get an opportunity to go to sleep at night.*

Here are some of the sample homemaker daily routines that I referenced to make mine:



I used others' cleaning chore lists to get an idea of what I should be doing with my day and chose to do what worked best for me.


Here is my Ideal Daily House-Mom-Wife Homemaking Routine:

a.m.
  • Wake 7:30
  • Air out bed
  • Open blinds/windows
  • Do stretches & exercises
  • Brush hair & teeth
  • Take vitamins
  • Get dressed 
  • Start coffee
  • Start laundry
  • Read the Bible for 30 minutes
  • Pray 30 minutes ACTS Prayer Model
  • Wake kids by 9:00
  •     Brush teeth & hair
  •     Serve breakfast
  •     Cartoons allowed until 10:30
  • Dailies
  •     Clean kitchen
  •     Plan dinner (set out ingredients, thaw meat)
  •     Pick up house
  •     Sweep house
  •     Vacuum living room
  •     Do a weekly
  •     Monday, do a monthly

  • Noon
  • Lunch 12:00
  • Make beds
  • Put away laundry
  • Take out trash
  • Take kids for a walk
  • Play outside
  • Daughter (3 y/old) nap/rest 2:00**
  • Read, blog, work on project
  • Wake Daughter up by 4:00**

p.m.
  • Start dinner 4:00
  • Serve dinner 6:00
  • Clean kitchen, do dishes
  • Run washer
  • Tuesday Bible study 7:00-9:00
  • Take meds
  • Watch shows with Dear Husband
  • Kids' baths 7:00 (unless it's Tuesday)
  • Kids' bedtime 9:00***
  • My shower, teeth, hair
  • My bedtime 10:00

I broke my chores down into Dailies, Weeklies, and Monthlies to organize them. I do one weekly per day and let them rotate over the weeks. I find motivating myself to actually do my weeklies and monthlies challenging because they are bigger tasks than my dailies and kind of a drag.

A day of just "dailies" is an easy day. After getting the house cleaned the first time, keeping the house clean is easy and I find I have a lot of downtime throughout my day. These days, I spend a lot of downtime sitting in my favorite recliner and holding my son who is still a baby.

Weekly:
Clean and sweep my bedroom
Clean kids' room 
Mop house
Clean microwave
Clean bathroom (wipe shower and tub)
Dust
Make week-long meal plan (Sunday)

Monthly:
Clean fridge
Wipe kitchen cabinets
Deep clean shower and tub
Wash and change bedroom linens
Clean oven
Vacuum behind the sofa and recliner

Annual:
Clean window sills
Clean fan blades
Clean baseboards
Purge stuff

*The fatigue may be a side effect of my disability or medication. I find that when I take my medication in the later part of the day, I function a lot better. The reason I can't go to bed as early as I want is because bedtime is a current struggle between me and my three-year-old. I am not an expert on parenting a toddler at bedtime.
**Baby sleeps when he wants
*** Yeah right!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Word Inspiration: Choice, the beginning

Gamifying Homemaking by Making a Fandom Out Of It